Hawaiian shaved ice makes cool entrance in LB

Family-run Hawaiian Tropical Shave Ice Truck, which will visit Cal State Long Beach in mid-May, is joining a movement of developing, independent food-truck services.

Cal State Fullerton alumnus Rick Kukahiko said he and his wife Emilie wanted to make shaved ice affordable, convenient and enjoyable and chose to join the “truck movement” since it has made a huge impact on both Los Angeles and Orange County.

“The truck movement has been spreading and progressing in recent years,” Kukahiko said. “The community is welcoming and working together in collaboration to support one another. There is no outright competition because each truck is unique. The only competitors are from our buyers.”

Kukahiko said he started catering shave ice at Hawaiian luau parties last year. He said he and his wife were originally inspired to create a Hawaiian shaved ice truck from their love of the treat.

“One day I read an article on the lunch truck boom and I thought, ‘Why not? We should get a truck,’ and just like that, it all came together,” Kukahiko said.

Kukahiko and his wife began looking into this idea and doing research since October 2009. Kukahiko said Hawaiian ‘Shave Ice’ has been a part of his culture since the 1930s when it was brought over to Hawaii from Japanese immigrants.

“ ‘Shave Ice’ is important to me because not only is it part of my culture, but [also because] my wife and I love it,” Kukahiko said. “Our two boys are also huge fans and love all the taste-testing sessions that we’ve been doing.”

Kukahiko said there is only one other company that drives around in a shaved ice van and that he will be the first shaved ice truck specializing in Hawaiian Shaved Ice.

“It all boils down to your product,” Kukahiko said. “You have to not only be confident in what you are selling but also back it up with great flavors and taste. ‘Shave Ice’ is enjoyable for all ages. It’s fun, fresh, and affordable. If people like it, the word will spread quickly.”

Kukahiko said shave ice is served with a few options in Hawaii. Many of those options include having shaved ice with or without ice cream, choosing between three syrups, sweetened condensed milk, and topped with Azuki beans or mochi balls.

Kukahiko said the best way to stay updated on where the business will make stops is by becoming a fan of them on Facebook or by following them on Twitter, which will be updated daily.

Kukahiko said, “We plan to be noticed by always being out there.”