ASI gathers for first summer meeting

Communication strategies and improvements are the main focus for the 61st Associated Student’s, Inc. Senate, which held its first meeting June 9.

Leading up to the meeting at 3:30 p.m., the new senators participated in a day full of orientation, beginning at 10 a.m.

The new ASI leadership took turns speaking to the senators, discussing topics ranging from their background and experience to their goals for the 2010-11 school year.

Chief of Staff Austin Metoyer plans to make student service a larger part of his job undertaking. He also hopes to increase collaboration between senators in order to carry out ideas that otherwise may have not been put into effect.

“There’s a lot of things senators wish they could do but can’t because of various reasons,” Metoyer said.

Treasurer Jameson Nyeholt urged the senators to make the most of their position by sharing their ideas with other senators.

“Make sure that this year is a year that you learn something,” Nyeholt said.

Kimberly Helm, chief programming officer, also hopes to strengthen communication between senators, commissions and ASI.

Helm spoke about her plans to make Week of Welcome more successful by moving the event to the commencement lawn, in order to allow participation by more clubs and organizations. Another idea to jazz up Week of Welcome is to incorporate a 24-hour dance marathon.

ASI President James Ahumada’s extensive experience has led him to his current position. He started on the Beach Team when he was a freshman, and has served on various commissions, as senator at-large and chief of staff. Now that he is president, he extended an invitation to all senators to feel free to come speak to him and “finish that communication belt” that the other speakers mentioned.

Ahumada said he intends to keep students engaged in ASI in the fall semester, particularly since the dorms will be full, including the off-campus Residence Learning College.

ASI senators filled senate committee positions, such as board of control and human resources, at the end of the meeting via a vote.

Cal State Long Beach President F. King Alexander gave a brief speech at the beginning of the meeting on how ASI can better serve the students. He challenged senators to question how to help more students graduate from CSULB.

The meeting ended with a mention of how old and new traditions will come together.