CSU Board of Trustees approves increase in student university fees, lifts nonresident tuition cap

UPDATE: The California State University Board of Trustees voted to increase student university fees by five percent and lift the annual cap on nonresident tuition.

As protesters gathered outside the CSU Chancellor’s office in downtown Long Beach this morning, the Committee on Finance spoke inside about the need for increased funds due to the budget deficit. Although the Board limited the increase to five rather than 10 percent due to increased state funding of $377 million, student protesters said they were still upset about the fees.

“I think it’s very unfortunate,” said Claudia Ramirez, a senior studying sociology and Chicano studies. “I don’t think they’re looking for other solutions whatsoever.”

The increases follow more than a year of the CSU struggling to balance its budget with measures like furlough days, department budget cuts, and an increase in student fees of $978 that went into effect last fall.

The newest fee increases will go into effect for the 2010-2011 academic year.

The California State University Board of Trustees will meet tomorrow at 10 a.m. at the CSU Chancellor’s office to discuss a possible increase of university fees for the 2010-11 school year.

The board is also expected to consider a fee increase for Graduate Business professional programs, as well as Education Doctorate fees.

The Assembly budget committee has proposed additional state revenues as a partial replacement of fee revenues, in order for the university to limit its 2010-11 fee increase to five percent rather than 10 percent.

Make sure to follow our Twitter feed, @daily49er, for up-to-the-minute coverage of the decision of the meeting.