CSU board raises student fees 5 percent

The California State University Board of Trustees voted on June 18 to increase CSU student fees by five percent.

The fee increase will go into effect for the 2010-2011 academic year. It will be implemented in an attempt to close the budget gap in the CSU system, which was caused by a decrease in state funding.

“We don’t want to increase the financial burden on our students,” said Benjamin F. Quillian, CSU executive vice chancellor and chief financial officer.

Quillian also said that although some may find it more difficult to attend a CSU, a fee increase is necessary.

The increase will amount to an additional $204 annually in fees for fulltime undergraduates. It follows two fee increases amounting to $978 implemented in the 2009-2010 academic year.

The board was initially expected to increase fees up to 10 percent, but an additional $377 million in the governor’s state budget proposal for 2010-2011 allowed the board to cap the increase at five percent.

The trustees said they hope the increased revenue will help avoid staff and faculty layoffs, prevent future enrollment declines and avoid furloughs.

“We found furloughs to be very disruptive on all of our campuses this year,” said Chancellor Charles Reed, “especially for students.”

The board stated that the fee increase is a last resort and that all other options have been researched. However, not all students were convinced. A small protest led by Students for Quality Education took place outside of the CSU Chancellor’s Office during the meeting.

The participating students compiled a list of demands for the trustees, including support of Senate Bill 330, abolition of fee increases, and to freeze all cuts to courses and programs.

“We want to show the different difficulties that students go through,” said Vanessa Rojas, a Cal State Bakersfield student.

Rojas said she thinks the money is there, but that it’s not being used appropriately. She was there to ask the board of trustees to seek alternative solutions.

“I fight now in hopes of a better future,” said protester Nathonas Duro, a Cal State San Bernardino graduating sociology major.

Inside the Office of the Chancellor, approximately 10 people spoke during the public comment portion of the meeting, including several students. The speakers shared both facts and personal stories about the various effects of fee increases.

Claudia Ramirez, a sixth-year sociology and Chicano studies major, said she wants students to put pressure on the state legislature to pass a budget where education is priority.

“I think it’s really unfortunate,” Ramirez said. “I don’t think they’re looking for other solutions whatsoever. There might be a lot more students who will have to struggle for money again.”

The board also passed a resolution to eliminate the annual cap on nonresident tuition. This is intended to curb the incentive for nonresident students to take additional units, the trustees said.

Alex Garcia contributed to this article.