CSULB police blotter

Editor’s note: The CSULB police blotter will come out every other week during the summer. If you have a tip for the reporter, please e-mail [email protected].

Coyotes roam CSULB
Coyotes have been spotted several times recently on the 22 acre field. A pack of coyotes has been entering through the creek, which crosses Bellflower Boulevard and leads across campus toward Studebaker Road.

According to Long Beach Animal Patrol clerk Shirley Vaughan, all urban wildlife such as coyotes, raccoons and opossums are protected by the state of California.

In the spring, coyotes deliver and raise their young, meaning parents are searching for food and they’ve found it at Cal State Long Beach. “The cat population [on campus] is a big attraction for the coyotes,” Captain Solorzano said.

The kids are alright
Children at the 49er camps reportedly pressed the emergency phone button near the P.E. Building on June 23 at 12:28 p.m and June 30 at 1:10 p.m. The camps go from Monday – Friday 12:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. Rick Hayes, director of the 49er camps, said that his instructional staff are “vigilant” and closely watch the 500 kids, ages 5-13.

Reported gun fire
The Long Beach Police Department received a report of two shots fired near Whaley Park on Atherton street June 24. The caller reported seeing two white males running past a residency in the 1900 block at Chatwin Avenue. After checking the area, no suspicious activity was found. The case has been dismissed due to lack of information and the rarity of the incident.

University Police assist U.S. Marshal at Pyramid
United States Marshal Adam N. Torres reportedly called University Police to help search for a wanted person at the Pyramid on June 5. He was thought to be participating in the Jiu-Jitsu tournament that took place from June 3-6, but the felon was never located.

More homeless near V.A. hospital
Staff reportedly called University Police about a man sleeping in the Multi Media elevator on June 30 at 1:33 a.m. The Multi Media building is located behind the University Library near Parking Lot 6. A 36-year-old non-student Bradley Berner was removed from campus. On June 29, a man was sleeping on the sidewalk on 7th Street.

University Police Captain Fernando Solorzano said there are many homeless people near campus because of the Veteran’s Affairs hospital. The large brush on Bellflower Boulevard has acted in the past as a site for homeless people to place sleeping material, but the street lights placed there have “served as a deterrent to homeless people that live there,” Solorzano said. According to the longbeach.gov, the Long Beach population was 492,682 in 2009 and there were 3,457 homeless adults and 452 homeless children.

Homeless white ethnicity ranked highest at 37.3 percent, blacks ranked second at 33.8 percent and hispanics ranked third at 19 percent. Also, 1,268 reported having been homeless for more than one year.

Robbery at Ralph’s
University Police assisted the Long Beach Police Department with a robbery in progress at the Ralph’s on 7th street June 23. 46-year-old Richard Burt was arrested by the LBPD.

Information
To report on urban coyote sightings, fill out a wildlife incident report at LongBeach.gov/acs/wildlife/report.
Long Beach Animal Control: 562-570-7387
Contact the writer: [email protected]