Security guards at University Bookstore after reported thefts

Security increase at bookstore

The University Bookstore has dealt with four reported thefts during the summer, according to the University Police activity log. There has been an increase in security during the beginning of the semester at the University Bookstore. The University Bookstore has employed numerous security guards who direct students to the backpack check tent, roam the book aisles and check receipts before students exit the building. Students who are caught stealing from the bookstore are referred to the Office of Judicial Affairs, which evaluates and assesses the academic ramifications of the crime.

Officer catches vandal black-handed

After two men’s restrooms were vandalized, University Police asked the Community Service Officers to increase their foot patrols of the campus restrooms. “We’re checking,” Capt. Fernando Solorzano said. On Aug. 23, it paid off. A CSO observed and reported vandalism in the men’s restroom on the first floor of the Psychology Building. The subject was cited for vandalism and will be fined according to the damage done. 

In addition, Facilities Management cleaned black marker off two more restroom walls, including the men’s restroom on the second floor of Brotman Hall and the men’s restroom on the second floor of the College of Business Administation building. University Police have noted the similarities of each incident. The reports are under investigation.

Reports of attempted suicide 

Two possible suicide attempts were reported on Aug. 2 and 3, according to the police activity log. The first call came from a passerby who reported that a “male appeared to want to jump off the Studebaker Road overpass at 7th Street.” The second occurred in Parking Lot 1, “involving a male who was contemplating suicide.”

According to the American Association of Suicidology (AAS), suicide is the 11th greatest cause of death. Among teens, it’s third. Males are four times more likely than females to commit suicide, according to AAS.

“Suicides decrease in time of war and increase in time of economic crisis,” the AAS said. As America backs out of war in the Middle East and Long Beach’s jobless rate climbs to 14.6 percent, suicides are a serious concern, Long Beach police information officer Nancy Pratt said.

Open field receives trespassing calls

Two separate groups of individuals received trespassing calls for using the intramural field near the Horn Center, according to the police activity log. The athletic event scheduling coordinator Cameron Ungar said that the field is open for public use. The field is used for club sports and physical education classes throughout the week. Therefore, “constant upkeep” of the field is necessary, Ungar said. Even though both calls occurred during open hours, groundskeepers “most likely” reported the students as trespassers. The intramural field closes at 8 p.m.