Residential parking available to students

Since at least fall of 2008, the parking field team for Cal State Long Beach has been putting up “residential parking only” signs on Atherton Street, where students are allowed to park at the beginning of every semester.

“Yes, technically students can park there, but they do so at their own risk,” associate director of parking and transportation Mark Rudometkin said.

Students are allowed to park in the preferential parking areas for only one hour, and face a $47 fine if they exceed that time.

“We have been asked by the city and neighborhood to put [the signs] up,” Rudometkin said. The signs are a courtesy to the residents and also a reminder to the students that the streets are designated for residential parking.

Some CSULB students didn’t let the signs deter them from free parking in the preferential parking districts, even if it is only for an hour.

“You’re allowed to park anywhere on the streets by law,” said Emmanuel Anika, an electrical engineering graduate student who parked on E. De Leon Street. “They’re trying to make money at my own expense.”

Neil Bedolla, another CSULB student, shared that sentiment.

“It’s biased, pretty much. It’s a sidewalk, public property, and it’s not just for people who live here,” said Bedolla, a sophomore journalism major parked on E. De Leon Street.

The school has received complaints from residents in the past that students are hindering residential parking, with instances of knocked over trash cans and blocked driveways.

There are a couple of signs near entrances to residential streets off Palo Verde Avenue, in addition to nearly ten more signs on Atherton Street, from Palo Verde to Merriam Way.

Rudometkin said that the school has not received any complaints about the signs from students or residents so far this semester.

The signs will be up for another week then put away until next semester.

Mukul Khairatkar is a CSULB alum who parked on E. De Leon Street to visit his former professor. He said that the one-hour free parking really makes a difference for people like him who just want to make a quick visit to campus.

“It’s expensive to park on campus, even if it is just for an hour,” he said.