Formerly homeless, CSULB student receives award for perseverence

Music has provided shelter for Cal State Long Beach student Brian K. Smith — literally.

After losing financial aid and student loans due to unit limitations, Smith became homeless and took refuge, sleeping in the practice rooms of the music department.

“I didn’t know what else to do,” Smith said. “Education is so important to me. I knew I would get over this hurdle.”

Smith had spent countless hours working on his music in these familiar rooms, but now his mind was preoccupied with survival. He strategized his movements so as not to be discovered, making him very anxious.

“Every little noise would wake me up because I thought it was someone coming in,” Smith said.

Through his struggle, Smith remained focused on his education by accumulating a 3.65 GPA at CSULB while balancing a heavy workload. His efforts were recognized Tuesday as he received $3,000 from the Hearst/CSU Trustees’ award, which is given to 23 students — one from each CSU campus.

“It means a lot to me,” Smith said. “Without it, I wouldn’t be able to study here because I don’t have the money for tuition.”

At the ceremony, recipients collected gifts from Sony Music that included a laptop and music player, and were able to hear each other’s stories of perseverance.

“Meeting the other people and hearing their stories was amazing,” Smith added.

Music and entertainment is a longtime passion for Smith.

“It is what I love to do,” Smith said. “Music tends to really move people.”

He is currently working toward a bachelor of music degree in vocal performance and performs classical opera, gospel, and jazz, among other genres.

However, music isn’t the student’s only hobby. Smith knows seven languages and volunteers at Destiny House Ministries as an interpreter to help bridge the gap between people of different cultures.

“I think it has to do with my purpose in life as well,” Smith said. “I knew there had to be more of a purpose than just speaking the languages.”

With his knowledge of language, Smith strives to bring understanding to different peoples of the world. He is writing a research paper on the African influence on the Mexican region of Costa Chica. He hopes this will help him get into the National Autonomous University of Mexico, where he plans to pursue a master’s degree.

He said, “I think we go through things because there is a reason; there is a purpose. And, it is usually to help someone else.”