Bike thefts increase at CSULB

Seven bicycle thefts have occurred on campus within the last two weeks, according to the University Police activity log. Each bicycle stolen was secured with a chain or cable lock, excluding one bicycle that was improperly secured with a U-Lock.

According to Capt. Fernando Solorzano, students should spend extra money on a U-Lock to secure their bikes that are typically priced at $100 or more. “Is it 100 percent? No,” Solorzano said. “But it is a bigger deterrent than a cable lock.” Most bicycle stores sell U-Locks for around $25, including Biker Mania, located at 1906 E. 4th St., or Wal-Mart, which sells Kryptonite U-Locks for $17. The average price for a cable lock is $15.

• On Sept. 24, a student’s blue bicycle was reported stolen from the northwest corner of the University Theater. The bike was valued at $250 and secured with a chain lock.

• On Sept. 23, a student’s green Livery road bike was reported stolen from the southwest corner of the Physical Education building. The bike was valued at $450 and secured with a cable lock.

• On Sept. 22, a student’s black Penny SX bicycle was reported stolen near the College of Business Administration building. The bike was valued at $399 and secured by a cable lock.

• On Sept. 21, a student’s black SE Lager bicycle with red text was reported stolen from the west side of Peterson Hall, room 140. The bike was valued at $380 and secured with a U-Lock, but was improperly secured over the handlebars, Solorzano said.

• On Sept. 21, a student’s black Torker bicycle was reported stolen from the west side of the K building at Parkside Commons. The bike was valued at $320 and was secured with a cable lock.

• On Sept. 17, a student’s blue Schwinn Spitfire bicycle was reported stolen from Faculty Offices 4 near Peterson Hall and Fine Arts 4. The bike was valued at $100 and secured with a chain lock.

• On Sept. 15, a student’s white Iron Horse BMX bicycle was reported stolen from the northeast corner of building G at Parkside Commons. The bike was valued at $140 and secured with a cable lock.

Breakup leads to domestic violence charge

Two students engaged in a physical altercation after deciding to end their relationship, resulting in both students receiving domestic violence charges, according to Solorzano. The subjects were arrested at 10:30 a.m. Sept. 22 and released around 10 p.m. that night. The altercation occurred near the George Allen Field on the music department access road.

Student receives obscene calls, messages

A student reported receiving continuous, harassing phone calls and text messages from a male, non-student from Sept. 18-25, according to Solorzano. She asked him not to call or text her anymore, but after numerous obscene messages, she notified University Police, Solorzano said. University Police have addressed the issue with the caller.

Restroom vandalism continues

An unknown suspect vandalized the men’s restroom in the Horn Center on Sept. 16, according to Solorzano. The word “restored” was written in calligraphy with a permanent black marker. It was about two-feet wide and one-foot long. The campus custodians valued the damage at $100 and have already painted over the graffiti.

Student uses facilities after privilege revoked

A former graduate adviser and student was told not to use the printer in the Psychology building, room 206, where he had worked in 2008 because he no longer had “access privileges,” according to Solorzano. Staff at the advising office notified University Police that the student might be a danger to himself after he had published a statement about the matter on Facebook. According to Solorzano, University Police spoke with the student and said that he was not a danger to himself.

Professor contacts student through radio station

A former student who lives in Florence, Ariz. called University Police about a professor on campus who had been communicating with him via the radio station Jack FM, according to Solorzano. The caller, Richard Creeach, was a student of the professor in 2005. University Police called the sheriff’s department in Florence to check up on Creeach. Upon assessment, they confirmed that Creeach was “strange,” but not a danger to himself, Solorzano said.

Found property

A wallet was found near the Engineering and Computer Sciences building with John Taylor Blanche’s driver’s license. It is at the University Police Department main station near the recreation center.

There was another wallet found near the McIntosh Humanities building with Alison Beth Korduner’s driver’s license. It can be picked up at the UPD main station.