Gardasil offers new vaccine for males

Male students are now eligible to get Gardasil, the Human Papillomavirus vaccine at the Health Resource Center in the Student Health Services building. The Food and Drug Administration approved the vaccine for men in October 2009.

The Health Resource Center has promoted the vaccine since 2006 when it was approved by the FDA.

“We are starting to put more attention towards Gardasil because there are less and less commercials and advertisements about Gardasil today,” said Heidi Burkey coordinator of Cal State Long Beach’s Health Resource Center. “Now that men can get it too, it is important to get the word out on campus.”

The vaccine is fairly new to the male students on campus.

“Between all the counselors, approximately only seven men have had the vaccination,” Burkey said.

Some male students are still in the dark about the shot. “I have never heard of Gardasil,” said Jonathan Lopez freshman arts major. “If I knew more information about it, I’m not sure if I’ll get it, but I would be interested.”

The vaccine can help prevent HPV which is the cause of cervical cancer, vaginal cancer, and penis cancer, according to Gardasil’s official website.

“HPV can cause genital warts, although not cancerous, it can cause psychological anxiety and turmoil for a student or anyone for that matter,” Burkey said. “We see a lot of HPV-related problems on our campus and the students who are diagnosed get anxious and upset.”

The Health Resource Center offers a patient assistance program that helps determine if a student can get Gardasil for free. The student must have no health insurance, make less than $21,000 annually and must not be a dependent on someone else’s tax.

“For students who don’t qualify, I always recommend they use their own health care provider because it is usually cheaper,” Burkey said.

Gardasil is $140.25 per shot, according to the Health Resource Center.

“The vaccination consists of three shots,” Burkey said. “In order for the shot to be effective, you must stay in the time frame.”

After the first shot, there is a two-month period before the second shot is given. Then after six months from the first shot, the third shot is given, according to Gardasil’s official website.

The vaccine is to prevent HPV from the start. “People who are already infected with HPV will not get the full benefit of Gardasil,” Burkey said. “If that is the case, counseling is available in the Health Resource Center which can give students more information on the virus.”

Gardasil is always available for students at their convenience.

“I strongly recommend Gardasil, especially for men because some may have HPV and show no symptoms but can transmit it to their next sexual partner,” Burkey said. “It’s important to know that for every sex partner you have, there is a 10 percent chance of getting HPV.”