A taste of Italy in new art gallery

The design building will host art gallery “Italian Design Through American Eyes” at Cal State Long Beach from Oct. 4-8.

The gallery will feature the work of 17 students, all of whom participated in a five-week study abroad design class in Italy this past summer.

In the gallery, observers will see many pieces that are based on the concepts that the students created during their time in Italy.

On the trip, the group spent the first two weeks exploring major cities in Italy such as Pompeii, Assisi, Milan, Venice, and Pisa. One of the best experiences for sociology major Jamie Bowen was visiting the Sistine Chapel.

“I have never been affixed by anything so beautiful,” Bowen said. “It was undoubtedly a powerful moment that I will never forget.”

The students settled in Rome, where they took classes and began to study art and design. The course in Rome was developed and instructed by CSULB faculty members Jeffery Adair, Wesley Woelfel and Hector Magno.

“[Students] participated in volunteer design work at the Rome Arts Festival. It gave students the opportunity to learn from an Italian master designer and meet other arts professionals from around the world,” Woelfel said.

Students also helped build, paint and design sets for the festival’s production of the opera “Carmen,” Woelfel said.

Another part of the course was to have the students submerge themselves in the Italian culture and the beautiful environment around them for inspiration.

Aaron Wong, sophomore industrial design major, said that they would take 50 pictures a day and build their concepts using everything from bus stations, cemeteries, trees and other famous monuments.

Fellow industrial design major Tee Tran said she based her art piece on the Ponte Deccile Bridge in Florence while another student based his on the Castello Sant’Angelo Bridge. The pieces are based on the individual and unique interpretation of the artist.

Videos from the volunteer work the students did as well as student concept development projects will also be displayed. The goal of the gallery is not only meant to display the works of the students, but also to encourage other CSULB students to study abroad.

Junior industrial design major Troy Yoshimoto said, “I went from being in art history classes and seeing things in a book to seeing it in real life. It’s mind-blowing and staggering.”

The opening night of “Italian Design Through American Eyes” will take place Oct. 5 at 6:30 p.m. in the Design Department Gallery, room 102.