Update: CSU’s highest paid ASI official says students get their ‘money’s worth’

Related articles:

CSULB’s student officials earn third highest pay in CSU

Top-15 paid Associated Students officers in Cal State University system

Graphic: Pay levels for all the CSU’s Associated Students presidents

Graphic: Breakdown of CSULB’s ASI officials’ pay

The highest compensated elected student official in the Cal State University system said that students are getting a good deal for her services.

“I think anybody who knows me knows I’m probably one of the most dedicated people on campus,” said Sarah Storelli, Associated Students, Inc. president at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. “I’ve lived and breathed ASI since my freshman year. I think [students] would definitely be saying they’re getting their money’s worth, and we already have so many large initiatives.”

According to a survey conducted by the Daily 49er, Storelli is the highest paid student in all of the CSU’s student governments. She receives $29,121 in total compensation, including:

• $13,410 for cost of living for fall, winter and spring quarters;
  • $8,172 for tuition cost for fall, winter and spring quarters;
  • $460.08, the equivalent of what she receives in parking passes for the fall, winter and spring quarters;
  • $2,708.33 for tuition cost for the summer;
  • $4,371 for cost of living for the summer.

According to Dawn Annoni, human resources technician for Cal Poly San Luis Obispo’s ASI, other officers in the university’s ASI earn the following:

• Chair of University Union Advisory Board Lorin Torbitt: $20,166;
  • Chair of the board, Natalia Walicki: $16,187;
  • Chief of staff, Tiffany Fowler: $16,187;
  • Vice chair of the board of directors (position is currently unfilled): $5,396;
  • Vice chair of the University Union Advisory Board, Brian Biehl: $3,237.

Cal Poly San Luis Obispo had an enrollment of 19,325 students in fall 2009. Storelli said it also has a unique fee system that allows it to charge additional student fees based on their individual colleges.

San Diego State has the second-highest compensation for CSU student government executives; the top five leaders each receive $26,437 annually. Enrollment at San Diego State was 33,790 in fall 2009, about the same as CSULB.

“We spend a lot of time in here and I think if our teams weren’t as strong as they are and as passionate as they are, then that salary wouldn’t be appropriate,” said Amanda Pascoe, vice president of finance at San Diego State. “But I think we’re such a large university that us being able to be here as much as possible is a great thing.”

Both Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and San Diego State use estimates provided by the universities’ financial aid office to determine the amount to pay the student leaders. The systems factor in cost of living and tuition.