Mexican laborer documentary shows inhumane conditions

More than 100 students filled the Anatol Center yesterday to preview the film “Harvest of Loneliness” as part of Ethnic Studies Week at CSULB.

The documentary, co-directed by Dr. Gilberto Gonzalez and Dr. Vivian Price, focuses on the Mexican bracero program that imported laborers into the United States from 1942 to 1964. Following the conclusion of the film, Dr. Luis Arroyo, a professor in the Department of Chicano and Latino Studies, joined Gonzalez and Price on a panel.

Five former braceros attended the screening and spoke to the crowd about lessons learned from the program that showcased poor wages and inhumane conditions.

“We helped win World War II,” Pablo Velasquez, 83, said. The program was implemented to strengthen a weakened labor force due to the need for soldiers.

The event was hosted and moderated by Dr. Victor Rodriguez, who said he was pleased with the turnout for the first two days of Ethnic Studies Week. Several extra chairs brought out from storage weren’t even enough to accommodate the near-capacity crowd.

After the panelists and former braceros made their speeches, Rodriguez opened the discussion to allow for questions from the audience.

“Besides being very interesting, it was very insightful on what happened,” said Gabriel Brambila, a junior geography major. “It’s not something that we’re not learning about, but it’s something that’s not being taught.”

Ethnic Studies Week continues Oct. 6 as Dr. Julie Weise presents a lecture entitled “The Bracero Program in Migration History.” The lecture will take place in Language Arts building 4, room 104, from 2 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.