Chinese Film Festival celebrates heritage at CSULB

Cal State Long Beach, along with the College of Continuing and Professional Education (CCPE) will host its inaugural Chinese Film and Culture Festival Oct. 14-21.

The seven-day festival will promote Chinese heritage and build a cultural gap between the U.S. and China through film, art and guest speakers at the University Student Union and William Link Theater, according to the 2010 Chinese Film and Culture Festival website.

The opening ceremony will begin tomorrow from 10-11 a.m. with an Ansai waist drum folk dance, a introductory segment, a face-changing performance and an announcement of the “Chinese and American College Student Animation Competition” by the Chinese vice minister of culture Wenzhang Wang.

The speakers will include: President F. King Alexander, Provost Donald Para, 
Lt. Gov. Abel Maldonado and
Consul Gen. Yun Zhang. The special guest will be ICN and Beauty Media president Li Yan.

CCPE program associate Natalia Kochan said that the weeklong event coincides with the city of Long Beach Cultural Diversity Month.

The film screenings on Oct. 15 and 18 will include panel discussions with acclaimed Chinese film directors and critics.

Chen Kaige’s “Forever Enthralled,” Gu Jun’s “The Everlasting Flame: Beijing,” and Feng Zhenzhi’s “Invisible Wings” are some of the ten films that will be screened at the Beach Auditorium throughout the week.

“I think it’s a great opportunity to bridge the gap between two cultures and promote cultural awareness, tolerance and the beauty of Chinese art,” Chinese Student Association (CSA) president Truong Trinh said. “And just like at CSA, we’re always seeking ways to preserve our culture and support our community during meetings every Thursday.”

A cultural heritage and craft exhibit will be held in the University Student Union Ballroom from Oct. 14-18. Calligraphy, syrup paintings, fans and paper-cutting art are some of the cultural types of artworks that will be displayed at the exhibit. Artisans will demonstrate traditional craft techniques Oct. 18. Models of China Fujian Tulou, an unusual type of Chinese rural dwelling, will also be on display.