Chinese Film Festival opens with taste of culture

The American flag stood to the left of the stage and the Chinese flag stood to the right. The Ansai Waist Drum dance performers entered with a bang as they stormed the stage and brought life to the 2,000-year-old tradition.

Cal State Long Beach’s inaugural Chinese Film and Culture Festival at the William Link Theater symbolized the cooperative effort of two world powers. The underlying message of Thursday’s opening ceremony was that bilateral relations depend on students in the arts.

The Chinese Film and Culture Festival is “the gateway to the world in which we live in,” President Alexander said.

Associate vice president for international education and dean Jeet Joshee introduced the wide variety of guest speakers, from vice minister of culture Wenzhang Wang to Lt. Gov. Abel Maldonado to Beauty Media president Li Yan.

“I didn’t expect so many speakers, especially from China, to be here,” sophomore pre-nursing major Angela Kim said. “I’m very interested in hearing the Chinese dignitaries’ speeches because I’m taking Mandarin [classes].”

On behalf of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Maldonado began with an historical anecdote on his immigrant parents and the language barrier that stood in their way.

“We don’t come here looking for a free ride,” Maldonado said. “We come here looking for an opportunity.”

Wang spoke about the U.S. and China Consultation on People-to-People Exchange in Beijing for positive, cooperative and comprehensive relations. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and Chinese State Councilor Liu Yandong signed the agreement. Wang made distinctions between China’s 5,000-year-old culture and America’s innovation.

Consul General Yun Zhang delivered his message on bilateral relations and “youngsters” with catch phrases and enthusiasm, which the crowd returned with applause.

In a change of plans, Disney’s Chinese senior vice president Yvonne Pei kicked off the Chinese and American College Student Animation competition.

As each speaker stepped offstage and into the front row, previous speakers would diplomatically stand and shake their hand.

There was also a face-changing performance in which a Bian lian performer twisted his head, turned his arms and changed masks within a split of a second. His masks included the Beijing Opera Mask, Doraemon and Spiderman.

CSULB representatives and Chinese dignitaries exchanged gifts of plaques and Chinese books for the University Library.

“Everything emphasized in the opening ceremony was outstanding and the public relations between the two countries just makes me want to go to China even more,” senior Chinese Studies major Emily Lees said. “Seeing the rest of the exhibit next week will be insightful.”

The Chinese Film Festival will have film screenings and art exhibits throughout the week until Oct. 21.