Eco Week promotes green lifestyle at CSULB

Associated Students, Inc. will host its annual Eco Week beginning Tuesday and continuing until Thursday, featuring a documentary screening, a beach cleanup, and various speakers on green living and waste reduction.

“Eco Week is designed to raise environmental awareness and promote sustainable living to CSULB students,” ASI conservation commissioner Jessica Young said via e-mail.

The week commences Tuesday with a green careers panel from noon to 2 p.m. in the University Student Union, room 303. The event will be hosted by the on-campus organization Green Campus Program.

On Thursday, many organizations will come together to bring awareness to students and faculty on campus during the environmental awareness fair at the speaker’s platform.

Organizations like ASI Recycling Center, Environmental Science and Policy club, and off-campus organizations such as Green Long Beach and the Aquarium of the Pacific will answer any questions regarding a cleaner planet. Students can participate in the fair by signing a pledge that ensures they will reduce their consumption of single-use plastics.

“The focus of Eco Week this year is the reduction of single-use plastics,” Young said. “[For example] water bottles and plastic grocery bags.”

There will be a screening of the movie “Tapped” at 6 p.m. Wednesday in Peterson Hall building 1, room 140. The film examines the role of the bottled water industry and its effects on climate change and pollution.

For those who would like to get more insight on how the recycling process works and more on waste reduction strategies, there will be two speakers in a discussion called “Recycle or Die” on Thursday at the USU, room 306 from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. ASI recycling coordinator Lee Johnson and Integrated Waste manager Jon Root will speak at the event.

A discussion entitled “Sustainability and Politics” will then be held at 5 p.m. Thursday in the College of Business Administration, room 140.

To finish off Eco Week, students, faculty and community members are encouraged to participate in the closing event of Eco Week — a 2-hour beach cleanup in Belmont Shore Oct. 30. The beach cleanup is meant to encourage thinking beyond just recycling, and becoming more active in the planet’s preservation.