Breast cancer program raises awareness at CSULB

The Boarding For Breast Cancer, or B4BC, foundation promoted the two fundamental aspects of preventing breast cancer among young women — early detection and an active lifestyle.

Cal State Long Beach welcomed the non-profit, youth-focused foundation Oct. 27 to educate and raise awareness in breast cancer among students.

The foundation was created after the founders’ close friend Monica Steward died of the disease. The founders of B4BC aimed to address the frustrations Steward expressed about women’s lack of awareness for the disease by creating fun, active awareness campaigns targeted at young women.

During the month of October, B4BC collaborated with six Southern California universities in a “Check One, Two” campus tour to promote breast cancer awareness.

Teamed with longtime supporter Skullcandy, this dynamic outreach tour provided an engaging presentation to educate young people on the importance of early detection and the value of an active lifestyle in the fight against breast cancer. 

“The financial support we receive goes toward the traveling educational booth, which educates young people in over 80 action sports and lifestyle events throughout the year,” B4BC’s outreach director Blair Young said. “Today has been the first time we have done a university campus tour, which has been a longtime goal and I can certainly see funding going toward a campus program in the future.”

The event included a B4BC traveling educational booth, which provided essential learning tools to encourage young women to protect their health. Three types of jelly breast moulds were provided that simulated different types of breast tissue: One with a potentially cancerous lump; one with fibrocystic tissues; and one with regular breast tissue. Volunteers educated students on how to perform a self-breast exam.

The “Test Your Breast Knowledge” trivia contest featured prizes from Skullcandy, free T-shirt printing, music performances and photo opportunities on the B4BC pink carpet.

The event pointed out that breast cancer is a disease that can affect both sexes.

“Men need to understand that they aren’t immune to breast cancer, as they also have breast tissue,” student volunteer Chelsea Robertson said. “It can occur with them as well.”

With over 200,000 women in the U.S. diagnosed with invasive breast cancer in 2010, it is essential that all women — and men — strive to lead a healthy lifestyle, and take all preventative measures in order to live a cancer-free life.

For more information, visit b4bc.org.