Former CSULB ASI president remembered

State senator and former Associated Students, Inc. president Jenny Oropeza will be remembered during a memorial service today at Cal State Long Beach in the University Student Union at 3 p.m.

Oropeza was running for her re-election when she died unexpectedly Oct. 20 at the age of 53.

CSULB President F. King Alexander asked for five minutes of silence in honor of Oropeza during Arianna Huffington’s appearance at the Distinguished Speaker Series.

According to Alexander, Oropeza was the first Latina president of Associated Students, Inc. in 1979, as well as the first Latina on the California State University Board of Trustees and the Long Beach City Council.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger left a statement on Oropeza’s website.

“Jenny was a champion for improving public health and her leadership will be missed,” he said. “As she battled her own health issues, she remained dedicated to her constituents by fighting to improve the environment, transportation, cancer prevention and the lives of veterans.”

Oropeza’s name will remain on the Nov. 2 ballot, in which she faces two challengers, Republican John S. Stammreich and libertarian David Ruskin.

The California Secretary of State’s office told the Press-Telegram that, if Oropeza receives the majority of votes, she will be considered elected, but the seat will be vacant when the state Senate begins its new term Dec. 6.

Flowers and cards can be sent to her district office at 2512 Artesia Blvd., Suite 200, Redondo Beach, CA, 90278.