Boxer victory has special meaning for CSULB students

There was jovial shout in the Sweet Water Saloon as Barbara Boxer was elected to a fourth term as a United States senator over Republican challenger Carly Fiornia.

Boxer’s victory Tuesday was, in part, due to the efforts of volunteers like Sara Castledine, a women’s gender and sexuality studies major from Cal State Long Beach.

“We had flyers and voter cards with Boxer’s and Fiorina’s positions on the issues,” Castledine said. “We also used tabling, sign-ups and voter registration rolled into one.”

Castledine credited Boxer’s last-minute push to the recruitment of undecided voters.

“Our main goal was to get the undecided voters,” Castledine said. “We told them, ‘If you believe in this, then this is who you need to vote for.’ “

There was a moment of total silence as more than 30 people waited as the announcement that Boxer won came in over the saloon’s television, and then the cheering began. Students hugged, high-fived and broke out into dance as they heard the news that their candidate had been re-elected.

“I am super excited” Andrew Jenkins, a CSULB senior women’s gender and sexuality studies major and president of Choice USA. “Every piece of revolutionary reproductive rights legislation has her name on it.”

According to its website, Choice USA focuses on “providing ongoing support to the diverse, upcoming generation of leaders who promote and protect reproductive choice both now and in the future.” Jenkins outlined how it mobilized the youth vote.

“Our primary focus was getting young people out to vote and telling them why their vote matters,” said Jenkins, explaining the outreach to voters in the days leading up to the election. “Last night we did a vote bank where we called 1,000 people who registered with us; we did text blasts, rallied with signs and tried to bring visibility to the issues.”

Senior women’s gender and sexuality studies major Alex Karaman also stressed the importance of registering the youth vote.

“We think it’s important people vote,” Karaman said. “We did some poll work [today] on campus and set up this event.”

The spirit of the saloon was overflowing with a sense of success and accomplishment as the televisions announced the victories for the Democratic candidates in California.

“It’s an amazing feeling. … like we actually made a difference,” said Liz Meador, a CSULB student and Boxer supporter.