CSULB students practice peace on campus

Community and student organizations will come together to share how they practice peace in their community in honor of the third annual Practicing Peace Festival at Cal State Long Beach Nov. 10.

For the first time, the College of Liberal Arts Student Council will plan and organize the event.

April Nietes, the programs and publicity coordinator for the College of Liberal Arts Student Council, said that college students can become apathetic and disconnected from matters that don’t directly affect their lives.

“This event is trying to raise awareness for all the issues facing our society today and promote better ways of resolving these issues,” Nietes said.

The event will have dancers, spoken word artists, information tables and a notable speaker, Congressman Bob Filner, at the Speaker’s Lawn in front of the bookstore.

Filner will speak about veteran’s needs and the “real costs of war.” Filner taught history at San Diego State University for more than 20 years before being elected to California’s 51st Congressional District in 1992. He now serves as chairman of the House of Representatives Veterans’ Affairs Committee, where he works with current veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, and elderly veterans from Vietnam, Korea and World War II.

Nietes expects a few hundred students to attend the open-air event, which lasts from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The festival is open to anyone who wishes to participate and registration is still open for any organization that would like to reserve a table for the event, but Nietes said space is limited. Students and organizations can register on the festival’s website at csulbclasc.org/home/events/practicing.

Nietes said, “We are looking to continue the great precedent that this festival has brought to the campus … and we hope to keep the tradition going for many years to come.”