ASI Senate split on purchase of $20,000 web program

Associated Students Inc. senators were divided Wednesday on whether to purchase a web program due to its cost.

The Daily 49er reported Tuesday that ASI President James Ahumada is presenting OrgSync to senators in hopes that they will support the purchase of the online program. OrgSync is in use by several Cal State Universities, and offers services like an integrated campus calendar, easy-to-use websites for clubs and management of statistics and finances for ASI. It also interacts with Facebook for one-click status updates.

OrgSync would cost $20,000 for the first year and between $14,000 and $16,000 every year after, depending on the contract.

The student senators were split on whether to support purchasing the program. Eight senators voted to move the resolution, authorizing it for a second reading, while four voted against it and four abstained.

Senators who opposed the resolution were mostly concerned with the cost.

Sen. Joseph Koemenda said the college councils he spoke to opposed the program, and he was concerned about using student fees for the program.

“What’s getting cut?” he asked.

Other senators said the features OrgSync provides could be accessed for free by using Facebook, GoogleDocs or WordPress. But some senators said OrgSync elevates those by integrating it all in one site.

“I think in the end the benefits of OrgSync will pay for themselves,” Sen. Jorge Soriano said.

ASI would receive a $10,000 supplement from Student Life and Development for the program’s first year and would, then, pay the full cost on its own.

The ASI Senate, which meets every Wednesday at 3:30 p.m., must pass through two more rounds of readings before it makes a final decision on the resolution.