Lights turning off in CSULB parking structures

The lights in Parking Structure 2 and 3 have recently been turning off at night.

Cal State Long Beach officials said the problem was a system error.

“There was a malfunction in the lighting controller two weeks ago in [Parking] Structure 3,” said Paul Wingco, energy and sustainability manager of CSULB Facilities Operations. “The controller was repaired shortly after the malfunction was discovered.”

According to reports of Daily 49er staffers, the lights in Parking Structure 2 and 3 were turned off at around 1 a.m. on Nov. 3. The lights in Parking Structure 3 were turned off in the evening on at least two occasions earlier in the fall semester.

According to Mark Rudometkin, general manager of Parking and Transportation, the two parking structure’s electrical systems are connected, so when one has a problem, the other does as well.

The lights in the structures are dimmed from midnight to 4 a.m. in order to conserve energy and save money. Rudometkin said that the dimmed lights don’t pose a safety threat.

“We try to ensure safe levels of lighting at all times,” he said.

Wingco said that CSULB saves an estimated $3,000 a month by dimming the lights.

In related news, Facilities Management is looking to install LED lights in the parking structures. The new lights will save money and contribute to a more eco-friendly campus.

The project is scheduled to start during in January, during CSULB’s winter session.