CSULB University Police save man’s life

University Police saved an 80-year-old man’s life in the Physical Education building on Oct. 31, Lt. Scot Willey of the University Police Department said.

University Police were called to room 106 with a report of an elderly man who was semi-conscious and barely breathing. When officers arrived to the scene, the man had almost no pulse and needed immediate medical assistance.

Officers used an automatic external defibrillator to shock the man who went into cardiac arrest, Willey said.

Police provided CPR in order to keep the man alive until paramedics arrived.

The man was transported to a hospital for further medical assistance. Although alive, the man remains under medical attention and is in “critical condition,” Willey said.

Two laptop thefts in two days

A student’s laptop was stolen after leaving it in an empty locker in the Walter Pyramid locker room Oct. 28. However, the student did not lock the locker before leaving for his weight lifting class, Willey said.

The loss is valued at $1,700. No suspect was seen and the case remains under investigation.

Another student reported a stolen laptop from the lounge area of the Residence Commons A building Oct. 29, Willey said. The student had left his laptop there while he went up to his room to get something. When he came back his laptop was gone. No suspect was seen and the loss is valued at $1,000. The case remains under investigation.

Student has seizure on campus

A student was reported having a seizure by the Liberal Arts 5 building Oct. 28, Willey said. When University Police arrived at the scene, the student was conscious, but incoherent. Outside medical assistance was called and the student was transported to a nearby hospital by the Long Beach Fire Department.

Projector stolen while professor’s back turned

A professor reported her projector was stolen while she was taking it out of her car Oct. 29, Willey said.

The professor had taken the projector to use in a lecture she was giving at the New City School campus. After returning to Cal State Long Beach, she had taken the projector out of her car and set it down on the parking lot pavement. While she got the rest of her things, the projector was stolen while her back was turned, but no suspect was seen or heard.

The loss is valued at $489. The case remains under investigation.

False call of man being mugged at knifepoint

University Police responded to a second false call in two weeks. This time the caller reported being mugged at knifepoint Oct. 29 rather than only seeing a man with a knife, Willey said.

University Police received a call from the Long Beach Police Department asking them to assist in finding two Asian males who had taken the caller’s bike at knifepoint. The caller reported seeing these males at parking Lot 17. After investigation, police determined the call was false altogether.

This comes shortly after police received a call Oct. 21 that a man was reportedly seen with a knife at the Residential Learning College room 202.

Police believe that both calls are connected to an individual who has a history of making false calls to the university and LBPD. This case remains under investigation.

Students welcome police to search house with alcohol and drugs

Housing staff contacted police Oct. 31 when they smelled marijuana coming from the RLC room 377, Willey said. The students welcomed University Police to search the premises. While searching, police discovered marijuana ash and half empty bottles of vodka.

Three of the five students were judicially cited: two for possessing alcohol and smoking marijuana and one for possessing alcohol and marijuana.