Maniacs debut new mascot at Pyramid sleepover

The Maniacs unveiled a new mascot at the second annual Homecoming Eve Camp Out at the Walter Pyramid Nov. 12.

Hype, the new Maniacs mascot, was dressed from head to toe in a bright yellow spandex suit, topped off by a Speedo with the 49er logo.

“Hype is the epitome of a Long Beach State fan — he’s energetic, he’s a die-hard, he’s there at every game and he’s all about winning and having fun,” said Sei Furutani, assistant director of marketing for Long Beach State athletics.

The overnight event, held from 10 p.m. Friday until early Saturday morning, invited students from Cal State Long Beach’s cheering section to gather before the Homecoming game.

“This is a chance for students to have fun and get pumped for the basketball season and learn about the Maniacs,” director of marketing for Long Beach Athletics Dedan Brozino said. “We’re giving away free stuff all night. There’s a Red Bull pong tournament. Maniac members will be qualified to win a brand new car.”

Students were supplied with free pizza and a large spread of food from Lucille’s Smokehouse Bar-B-Que along with free sodas, water and Red Bull.

“Last year during the camp out, I stayed here from 9 p.m. until 7 a.m.,” said Joshua Corona, sophomore math and economics major. “My favorite part was competing to win a car and playing basketball until 4 a.m.”

Junior business major Kristina Sanchez said she was looking forward to the opportunity to win a brand new car and seeing if she could stay up until the morning.

Events took place throughout the morning to keep the students entertained. All the while, the activities were being streamed live through livestream.com.

“We have the biggest student section in the Big West [Conference]. This is something that will help make Cal State Long Beach one of those schools that you see on TV,” communications studies graduate Angela Morales said. “To be involved in something like this is huge … I am a proud, proud alumna.”

Students who stuck it out until Saturday morning were treated to a free breakfast delivered by Coach Monson.

“The benefits of being a Maniac are meeting new people and interacting with Coach Monson,” said Kelsey Solomon, Maniacs campus spirit ambassador and junior international studies student. “You get to come to games before the public and have free food from the lounge; it’s just so much fun and you really feel like a part of the campus.”

To join the Maniacs, sign up at any game or online at monsonmaniacs.com. It’s $5 to join and members also get a free T-shirt.

“Monson Maniacs are like the lifeline for our athletic teams,” Furutani said. “Coach Monson admits they really hype up the team and they are a big part of the atmosphere of men’s basketball games.”