CSULB to implement new e-mail system

Students who use Cal State Long Beach’s e-mail service will have to switch to the new BeachMail system by Jan. 31. The system will be launched on Dec. 1, giving students two months to switch systems.

Microsoft is providing BeachMail as a free service for a minimum of five years. However, according to Janet Foster, associate vice president of information technology, CSULB will still pay for the current system since faculty will continue to use it.

“Our campus would like to replace Web Mail for faculty and staff in the future, at which time we will be able to fully retire Web Mail and its hardware and software costs,” Foster said.

Faculty and staff members using Web Mail will continue to use their @csulb.edu accounts. Students will receive their new usernames upon activating their accounts, which will be formatted as “[email protected].”

The advantages of the system change are the potential decline of costs, more memory storage per each student account, the availability to access on cell phones, usability for individuals with disabilities and an improved anti-spam filter.

“We considered eliminating student e-mail,” Foster said. “However, since e-mail is a service we currently provide to approximately 6,000 students who either use or forward e-mail from their CSULB account, we felt that we needed to continue offering the service.”

BeachMail will provide a tool to import e-mails from the old Web Mail system to the new accounts, but there will not be a tool to transfer contacts. Students will be able to receive both messages in both accounts during the two-month period to help them ease the transition.

“The transition might cause problems for a little bit, but with more space, I guess we’ll be better off,” said Jason Separa, senior electrical engineering major. “I like the options, especially the phone one.”

The transition period and change is not expected to cause many problems with the new system. BeachMail is more advanced with features and has tools to help students adjust.

Another factor that decreases the potential negative impact is the limited amount of students who use the current system.

“To be honest, I don’t really rely that much on my CSULB e-mail; I just use my Yahoo e-mail account,” junior sociology major Melissa Montes said.

Students will receive informational e-mails to detail what BeachMail will offer and how they will be able to use the system. The transition period spans two months to allow students to adapt to and learn the new system.

Foster said, “Because students will be able to activate their new BeachMail accounts on Dec. 1, we wanted to ensure there is no disruption during the end of semester activities such as finals or grading.”