CSULB students protest censorship of lesbian play title

Cal State Long Beach students will protest the university’s decision to not feature the new Cal Rep show, “The Night of the Tribades,” on the Seventh Street marquee.

Students will gather in front of Brotman Hall, today and tomorrow from 12:30 p.m. to 1 p.m.

No one from CSULB could be reached for comment.

“This is a silly form of censorship,” senior theater arts major and protest organizer Courtney Knight said. “We feel like this will be a provocative action and raise awareness on the Tribades scandal.”

Tribade is a slang term for lesbian or a lesbian sexual position.

“Tribades is this unknown word that means scissoring,” said Tori Fritz, a senior theater arts major and protestor.

“We censor it instead of putting the word out. As artists, we have to make a stand — a strong stand — and send the school a message,” Fritz added.

The student protest group plans to wear T-shirts that read “Tribade” and hand out flyers explaining their position.

According to the flyer, “CSULB has deemed the word ‘offensive’ and ‘inappropriate’ to display because of the allegedly graphic images on an Internet search of the word ‘tribade.’

“The university seems to think that vaguely suggestive sexual images are more graphic than the extremely violent images of ‘genocide’ and ‘lynching,’ two words that they have used on the marquee,” the flyer went on to say.

Senior theater arts major and protestor Raina Pratto said they gathered a group and decided to get the word out.

“I hope that we will make people aware we are being censored,” she said.

“It’s just the title of the play, but it symbolizes more than that because it won’t go up on the board,” Pratto added.

“The Night of the Tribades,” written by Swedish playwright Per Olov Enquist.

The play is about playwright August Strindberg and his relationship with women.

To get on the group’s e-mail list, send an e-mail to [email protected]. Go to calrep.org for show times.