Students spread wings, take flight

In the scorching hot cockpit of an eight-passenger airplane, Zachary Cowen, junior criminal justice major at Cal State Long Beach, put on his bulky aviator headphones and took charge of the controls with sweaty palms.

He was ready to fly alongside a United States Marine Corps aviation officer.

It was the morning of Nov. 5 at John Wayne Airport, when Cowen was given the opportunity to fly a King Air 200 up and down the Southern Californian coastline, turning and diving as he saw fit. The G-forces were so strong that the flight felt like a roller coaster ride traveling in different directions. The movements had Cowen regretting his decision to eat a hearty breakfast that morning. Cowen and the other passengers slid back into their seats, unable to move an inch as the plane accelerated.

“Flying the plane was radical,” Cowen said. “Just being in the cockpit and looking out over the ocean was insane, but when the pilot sits next to you and just eats a sandwich while you fly … awesome!”

Cowen — along with other college students — had fear marked across his face during the hour-long flight. Anxieties and emotions ran sky-high as everyone’s nerves got the ultimate workout. The absence of air conditioning on a hot day only added to the excitement as sweat dripped down their faces.

The students took turns flying the plane, carefully stepping in and out of the control-filled cockpit about 2,500 meters above sea level. The cockpit was crammed with dozens of buttons and switches surrounding the pilot and co-pilot seats.

Students flew south from Newport Beach to Camp Pendleton and back again. Cowen had a birds-eye view of houses and buildings the size of ants on one side, Catalina Island on the other side and the Pacific Ocean directly underneath.

He said it was an exhilarating, once-in-a-lifetime experience he will remember forever.

“The most interesting thing was how little effort the pilot used to control the plane,” he said. “He had flown so much that he didn’t even have to think about it.”

Capt. Jason Kurz, the aviation officer, wore a beige jumpsuit. He signaled to each student that they would be flying a special Marine Corps jet. To their surprise, they were about to fly a passenger plane used to transport people around the United States. Although it wasn’t built for flips, the plane flew with ease as students operated several dips and sharp, jerky turns.

The purpose of the free event was to promote the Marine Corps aviation officer positions by providing college students in Southern California with the hands-on experience of flying a plane. Along with students from CSULB, those from other universities, including the University of California Irvine and Chapman, were also at the event.

“I attended because I’m interested in the Marine Corps Officer Candidates School, and really how can you turn down the chance to fly a plane?” Cowen said. “It was an unbelievable experience, and gave me a new view on what the Marine Corps has to offer … I will definitely make [this career choice] a strong possibility.”

When the aviation officer took over to land the plane on the runway and the students stepped onto the black asphalt, they were anxious to ask several Marine Corps officers questions.

“I learned a lot,” Cowen said. “The pilot answered all my questions about the lifestyle, the training and the opportunities available to Marine Corps pilots.”

Flight school gives men and women the chance to gain real world experience, such as learning how to fly on and off aircraft carriers. Although they identify their preference of flying a diverse fleet of cutting-edge jets and helicopters, their aptitude and performance determines the type of aircraft they will be flying.

“You can learn to fly a multimillion dollar jet in less time than it takes to get a B.A.,” Capt. Paul Lowman said. “I think it’s pretty reasonable.”

According to Lowman, to be a Marine and a pilot, one has to be “someone who performs beyond all their peers.”

Cowen encourages other students to go to the next event.

“I’ve always been interested in new views of the world and aviation opens your eyes to new and exciting things,” he said. “I guess the only thing I can think to compare it to is the freedom you feel when you first get your license and can drive anywhere that you want.”

The next opportunity to fly with the U.S. Marine Corps will be Jan. 21 and Jan. 22 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at John Wayne Airport. Contact Lowman at 949-261-7323 or [email protected] no later than Jan. 7 to register for a slot to fly.