University Library to stay open 24/7

With finals less than a week away, students can begin taking advantage of the University Library, which will stay open continuously for 24 hours until Dec. 17 at 5 p.m.

Other facilities such as the Horn Center will be open during finals week, but will not offer extended hours.

To prepare for the rush of finals week, the library has added extra tables to each floor to accommodate more students, according to JJ Jaber, Cal State Long Beach library staff member.

During the summer, new outlets were installed throughout the library in order to help with the growing need to charge electronic devices, Jaber said.

Communication studies major Hadley McGaughran said the new hours will be helpful during this time of year.

“It’s easier to study when the library is open 24 hours, I don’t have to worry about packing up before it closes,” she said. “Instead, I can just stay put until I finish what I need to get done.”

Although the library will remain open, the Starbucks located in the library will continue business with extended hours from 7:30 a.m. to midnight.

According to the University Library website, Starbucks will be offering free coffee during late-night hours, while supplies last.

Starbucks employee and mechanical engineering major Andy Ross said, “Finals week is business as usual with longer lines. Lines usually extend out of the gate.”

Ross said Starbucks will have more employees on the floor during this hectic time of year.

“The Sunday before finals is always the craziest day,” Jaber said. “Try to come early in order to get a good table because the library will be packed.”