Dorms to be vacant by Friday

Students living in the dorms at Cal State Long Beach will need to leave the premises by 7 p.m. Friday, according to Carol Roberts-Corb, director of Housing and Residential Life.

“Residents were informed about closing procedures and winter break information during mandatory floor meetings as well as in a flyer that each resident received in their mail box,” Roberts-Corb said.

Friday was the last day of classes for the semester and marked the start of “quiet hours” week.

“Finals is a tough time for everyone and we want to make sure that we have a community that supports a study environment,” Residential Learning College resident assistant Leah Grigas said.        

Housing coordinator of the Residential Learning College Abby Scheitlin told residents last week that she would have no issue ordering students to leave campus early, despite there being exams, and that any excessive noise and behavior would not be tolerated. 

Students were advised to wear their earphones when listening to music or watching movies. In addition, they were told not to play any instruments during the week and to keep celebrations off campus as a sign of respect to fellow residents.

Exam week starts today and concludes Dec. 17. The last meal provided will be lunch on Friday before students have to leave the dorms.          

“Any student seen on campus after 7 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 17 will automatically receive a $100 late move-out fee,” Roberts-Corb said. “If unlicensed residents are found in the building after this date, they will need to pay for the winter break license, which at that point will cost $400.”

There will be no shuttle buses running and no meals provided after Dec. 17.

Fall 2010 parking passes will also expire and will not be valid during the break. Winter parking passes will therefore need to be purchased to avoid tickets.

All students can return to the dorms at noon on Jan. 23 for spring semester. Classes resume on Jan. 24.