Makeshift café opens in Student Recreation and Wellness Center

A temporary snack center opened Thursday and will be operating at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center for the spring semester until Associated Students Inc. finds a permanent vendor.

The new snack shack will sell food staples such as water, energy drinks and healthy snacks for the next three to six months, according to ASI Communications Coordinator Christina Esparza.

“We have not yet sent out a request for proposal to outside vendors, so there really are no potential vendors yet,” Esparza said.

After the Fresh Foods Café Express’ sudden closure at Cal State Long Beach’s recreation center last November, ASI has been running its own mini-convenience store.

According to University Student Union Board of Trustees chair Asha Nettles, the entire board hopes to replace the space with healthy and affordable food products.

“I did enjoy the organic option that was [at Fresh Foods] before and hope that it’s continued with the next vendor,” said Nettles, who is also a CSULB student and frequent visitor of the recreation center.

However, some students have different opinions on the types of products the future shop should have in store.

“I think the snack corner should just be a smoothie bar,” said sophomore geography major Aaron Goddu. “If they sold fresh smoothies, juices and even protein shakes, then it would generate a lot of business.”

Other recreation center members are hoping for healthy and tasty alternatives.

“Fresh fruit would be great, but I understand it has a short shelf life, so it would be pricey,” said graphic design alumni Bryan Villa. “But I don’t mind having indulgent stuff like sandwiches and shakes.”

The SRWC, a 126,500-square-foot facility that opened in fall 2010, is available to Cal State Long Beach’s 35,000 students as well as membership-paying alumni.

Esparza said about 2,500 to 4,000 students use the SRWC facilities daily during the academic semesters.