Seventh Street bridge to be closed for up to a year

Students driving to Cal State Long Beach from Orange County will face a detour as the 22 westbound-Seventh Street connector will be closed for up to a year, according to an Orange County Transportation Authority.

The bridge will be demolished sometime in late February or early March, Christina Byrne of OCTA said.

Byrne said Seventh Street west of the 405 bridge will not be affected, but students trying to get to campus from the 405 northbound will need to change their route.

“The contractor is incentivized to get it done sooner than a year if possible,” Byrne said. “But while that connector is closed, the best route for students is to exit Seal Beach Boulevard to Westminster/Second Street and reconnect with Seventh Street at Studebaker.”

The West County Connector project was designed to add carpool lanes, reconstruct on- and off-ramps and add elements like soundwalls and landscaping, according to octa.net.

The project also means intermittent closures on the 22 eastbound. The ramp headed from campus to the 405 southbound will be closed only for two weeks sometime in 2012, Byrne said.

Byrne said students should be mindful that speeding and other fines are doubled in construction zones and make extra time for the commute to ensure they get to class on time.

OCTA posts construction updates at facebook.com/WCCProjectInfo or on Twitter @wccprojectinfo.