Art show to honor slain CSULB graduate

A collection of artwork for, about and inspired by Lisa Nguyen, a recently deceased Cal State Long Beach alumna, will open Sunday night in the Werby Gallery on campus.

A benefit and memorial concert will follow at The Prospector Steakhouse and Saloon at 9 p.m.

“Sunday is supposed to be a big Lisa-style celebration of who she is and was, and what she meant to all of us,” event organizer Jennifer Cotterill said.

“The Fabulous Life of Lisa Nguyen” will feature student work, faculty artwork, Nguyen’s professional design work and the work of her friends. Many of the artists are from Long Beach, and some are from London, where Nguyen wanted to move.

“We all took it for granted that the next time we saw Lisa she would be doing great, looking fabulous, enjoying life and telling us to get off our butts and do something,” Cotterill said.

The pieces commemorate her personal achievements and her great influence on those around her.

“Lisa was an amazing person,” Cotterill said. “She was larger than life. If you were anywhere she was, and you somehow didn’t already know her, she made sure you did by the end of the night.”

The benefit concert Sunday will feature the entertainment of a few of Nguyen’s friends and favorite local bands.

The $5 cover charge will be used to establish the Lisa Nguyen Memorial scholarship.

“A traditional funeral could not be any less appropriate for Lisa’s memorial,” Cotterill said. “She would want everyone to have a wild time and enjoy life. So that’s the plan for Sunday.”

The exhibit opens with a reception from 5-7 p.m. Sunday.

Regular hours resume Feb. 7-10, from 12-5 p.m., with the exception of Wednesday, when the exhibit will stay open until 7 p.m.