CSULB students coping with record levels of stress

A record number of freshmen students are reporting low levels of emotional health during their first year of college, according to a study conducted by UCLA.

The study, called “The American Freshman: National Norms Fall 2010,” showed that many students were blaming their demanding schedules and challenging courses. However, it said some traced their stress back to their senior year of high school, where students were pressured to succeed, get high SAT scores and finish up the last of their diploma requirements.

Cal State Long Beach student Joanna Medina began her freshman semester in August of last year.

“I was excited for the opportunity to meet new people and [experience] a new environment,” she said.

Soon, however, Medina said she found herself having a hard time adjusting to the heavy workload while balancing her work-study program.

The study was administered to 261,511 students from 420 colleges and universities. Prepared by the Cooperative Institutional Research Program (CIRP), it was aimed at incoming first-time college students to address everything from their college expectations to financial concerns.

John Pryor, the lead author of the report and CIRP director, found that the percentage of students rating themselves as below average in emotional health had risen. In addition, he said the percentage of students who reported their emotional health as above average fell from 64 percent to 52 percent within the past couple decades.

Still, the study reported that stressed-out students are generally expressing positive attitudes and believe the key to a successful future and advancement is through a college degree.

Medina agreed that the pressure she felt in high school carried over to college, but she said the most important thing is finding ways to defuse stress.

“I have to be more prepared and find ways to cope with the stressors that get put in my way,” said Medina, who used time management to help her through her most difficult midterms last semester.

Brad Compliment, director of CSULB’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) program, said the study portrayed both the optimism and stress he’s seen on campus.

“Anxiety has risen as a form of stress yet simultaneously we’ve seen many students showing a strong sense of hope while working hard towards their future,” Compliment said.

Marcus Hotaling, chairman of mental health for the American College Health Association, said the access to quality counseling and medication has made it possible for students to admit when they are struggling.

“There’s a reduced stigma,” Hotaling said. “Parents and children today are different from past generations. Students are more in tune with their emotions and are better able to acknowledge when they are struggling.”

CAPS primarily offers counseling to students struggling with issues such as family, social and romantic relationships, and depression. However, tutoring programs, time management and study skill workshops as well as yoga classes are also available as stress-reducers for students.

“The CAPS program does not want to downplay the stress issue,” Compliment said. “We are here to counsel and work with students. There’s something great about articulating or being able to talk about your feelings outside of yourself with others.”

For those seeking help or struggling with anxiety or depression, CAPS offers an online screening test at csulb.edu/caps.