Recycling center gets funds from ASI to renovate old trailer

The Associated Students Inc. Board of Control approved funding for a new campus recycling center trailer Feb. 1. 

According to Recycling Coordinator Lee Johnson, although the campus’ recycling program is of good quality, the current trailer is in need of renovation. Twelve student employees work in shifts in the current 200 square-foot work space. 

“The doors are falling apart [and] it leaks,” said Johnson, who has been pushing to improve the work trailer for four years. 

But the quality of the trailer is not Johnson’s primary concern.

“The more critical thing, in my view, is that there is no running water and no sewer system,” he said. “We use portable toilets and wash our hands with hand sanitizer.”

ASI Executive Director Richard Haller admitted that the current trailer was initially purchased as a temporary workspace. 

The proposed trailer-switch would involve the removal of the existing trailer and the routing of sewer lines throughout the property. 

It would also provide the possibility of a new permanent structure with space to include lockers, offices, a shower, restrooms and a possible classroom or meeting room.

Still, a permanent structure would involve “leveling” the area to remove a hill, a road, some trees and other obstacles in order to maximize the overall space and flow of the recycling center.

The complete redesign would also require a feasibility study. 

The cost of the study is estimated at more than $30,000, but would provide an accurate determination of redesign specifics. 

The recycling center has enough funds to cover a portion of these fees, and ASI has agreed to provide the remaining amount.

The new trailer, though an upgrade from the current facility, is not what Johnson has in mind for recycling center improvements. 

The recycling coordinator would like to see the trailer entirely replaced by a permanent building and possibly aided by a maintenance staff. 

He describes the current facility as “operationally self-supporting.” In addition, Johnson said the center doesn’t have a custodial or grounds keeping staff.

However, the CSULB recycling plant has been known for its educational tours.

School children are shown exactly how the recycling process works as well as a few green technological innovations, such as a battery-powered lawnmower with zero emissions.

“It’s a very thorough tour,” Johnson said.

He expressed a future wish to improve upon the touring feature as well, transforming the recycling center into a “state-of-the-art sustainability demonstration project.”