Resolution to oppose transparency bill is proposed

A resolution opposing SB 8, a state bill that would mandate financial transparency among Cal State University auxiliary organizations, passed on its first reading at an Associated Students Inc. Senate meeting Feb. 16. 

The bill would require auxiliary organizations such as ASI to operate under the California Public Records Act, a state law requiring public organizations to make their records available to the public unless there is a legitimate reason not to.

ASI and other auxiliaries like 49er Shops currently operate as functionally private organizations.

Sen. Stephen Thomas from the College of Business Administration said the bill would essentially hinder ASI efficiency.

Some senators said they found the contents of the bill to be confusing. It breaks down auxiliary organizations into six categories, they said. Some would be required to follow the Public Records Act and some would not.

However, other auxiliary organizations would fall into more than one category, creating confusion regarding whether or not these organizations would have to comply with the Public Records Act.

Though ASI is in opposition to SB 8, senators said they were not entirely opposed to the concept of transparency. The student organization would like the bill’s contents to be clarified before supporting it.

The ASI Senate meets tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. in the University Student Union, Room 234.