ASI resolves in support of ‘Irvine 11’ students

Associated Students Inc. introduced the Resolution in Condemnation of Criminal Charges Against the Irvine 11 on Feb. 23, criticizing the Orange County District Attorney for the recent charges filed against the students.

The resolution also urged the district attorney to establish a process that treats people of all faiths with equal respect and due process of law.

The resolution is based on an incident that occurred in February 2010. In an act of protest, 11 students — nine from the University of California, Irvine and two from UC Riverside — interruped a speech given by the Israeli Ambassador to the U.S. Michael Oren.

District Attorney Tony Rackauckas charged the students earlier this month with conspiring to disrupt a meeting and speech, according to the Los Angeles Times.

In addition, it condemns the DA for charging the Muslim student protesters. If convicted, the students face up to six months of jail time.

“The purpose [of the document] is to bring awareness to the situation and voice an opinion support of freedom of speech of the Muslim student protesters as well as the freedom of speech of students from all universities across the state,” said ASI Senator Ojaala Ahmad, who introduced the resolution.

Protests on college campuses are not uncommon and have been conducted in non-violent ways without criminal prosecution in the past.

“The exercise of free and dissident speech is an integral part of our democratic process and a cherished freedom protected by our Constitution,” Ahmad said. “Trying the student protesters would have a severe chilling effect on the exercise of free speech on college campuses across the state.”

Ahmad said she hopes to raise awareness of the seriousness of the situation. Students potentially face losing their right to express themselves if the Irvine 11 students are convicted, she said.

The resolution seeks to reassure students that ASI supports their right to engage in speech, or protest and not fear being criminally charged with controversial speech.

“We hope that this resolution will lead the way for other CSUs and UCs to stand in solidarity,” Ahmad said.

The resolution was given its first and second reading in the same sitting since the issue is time-sensitive. The resolution is scheduled for its third reading tomorrow.