On ‘Super Sunday,’ Cal State leaders encourage black youth to pursue higher ed

The Cal State University Super Sunday program ended this weekend, highlighted by Cal State Long Beach President F. King Alexander’s speech about how to make college attainable.

After the congregation of approximately 60 people at Holy Trinity African Methodist Episcopal Church, Alexander talked with churchgoers and an information booth displayed pamphlets and brochures about planning for college.

Super Sunday features CSU leaders and alumni visiting predominantly African-American churches throughout California to spread information about college planning. Chancellor Charles B. Reed started the program in 2005 as a collaboration with Bishop Charles E. Blake.

Fifteen children were seated behind Alexander during his speech, and much of his message was based on being prepared and starting early in college planning.

“There’s no reason why each and every one of these students shouldn’t be thinking about going to college,” Alexander said during his speech. “It’s never been more important than today to graduate college.”

Alexander used an anecdote about star Long Beach State basketball player Larry Anderson, who attended nearby Jordan High School.

“The basketball team is 13-2, Larry Anderson is a great player,” Alexander said. “You know what stands out most? He’s on track to graduate.”

Although budget cuts are leading to increased student fees, Alexander explained that a college education is still a good value with the availability of financial aid.

“Last year, we had a 40 percent increase on grant aid at CSULB,” Alexander said. “Those are resources that you have access to. It’s there for you to start college; it’s there for you to finish what you started.”

Mary Davis, a member of the church, has been present for Super Sunday visits in previous years. She said that Alexander’s speech helped show the social progress that has been made over the years.

“I think it’s wonderful to have Mr. Alexander here,” Davis said. “It’s good to let our young people know that we, as a people, had to go through struggles.”

After his speech, Alexander took a seat on the stage while Reverend Gayle Davis-Culp finished her sermon.

Davis-Culp joked, “Doctor Alexander, the good thing about being in a ‘black’ church is that they help you preach.”

Super Sunday began Feb. 13 and continued this past weekend.

The program was created as part of the CSU African-American initiative, which has grown to include a Super Saturday College Fair in August.

According to calstate.edu, the Super Saturday fair prepares middle school and high school students with workshops about the CSU application and admission process. All 23 campuses in the CSU system attend the fair.

According to the website, the overall goal of the African-American initiative is to increase the college preparation, enrollment and graduation rates of African-American students.