Bike thefts continue to plague CSULB students, police say

Bike thefts continue

Two reports of bike thefts occurred between Feb. 18-20, University Police Lt. Scot Willey said.

A woman reported that her bike was stolen Feb. 18 between 11 a.m. and 12 p.m. at the science complex, Willey said. The woman was in class during the theft and left her light blue Gravity Sand Dollar bike secured with a regular chain. The estimated value of the bike was $350.

A student reported that his or her bike was stolen Feb. 20 between 3-6 p.m. at the bike racks outside of Parkside Commons, Willey said. The silver Novara Forza bike was locked with a U-Lock around the neck of the bike instead of the frame when it was stolen. The estimated value of the bike was $549.

Multiple laptops reported stolen

University Police received three reports of stolen laptops between Feb. 19-23, Willey said.

A man reported that his MacBook Pro was stolen on Feb. 23 between 9:45-9:55 a.m. in the restroom located between the Language Arts 1 and Language Arts 2 buildings, Willey said. The man placed his laptop in the cubbies located in the restroom and accidently left his laptop when he went to class. When he realized he did not have his laptop, he returned to the restroom, but it was gone. The estimated value of the laptop was $1,299.

A woman reported that her laptop was stolen on Feb. 19 between 1:30-1:40 p.m. in the Residential Learning College, Willey said. The woman placed her laptop on her bed and left to cook Spam. She left her door slightly opened and when she returned, her laptop was gone. The estimated value of the laptop was $650.

A custodian worker reported that his or her laptop was stolen in the University Student Union on Feb. 19 between 4:30-6:30 p.m., Willey said. The custodian left the laptop on top of a round table in the custodian cage area to do their rounds. Upon returning, the laptop was gone. The room was left unlocked because the custodians are not used to anyone else going into the cage area, Willey said. The estimated value of the laptop was $500.

Skateboard stolen

A man reported that his skateboard was stolen from the Residence Commons dining hall on Feb. 2 between 7:50-8:45 p.m., Willey said. The man left his green Sector 9 Brand Longboard skateboard by the backpack storage area at the entrance of the building. When he returned to get his skateboard, it was gone. The estimated value was $170.

Domestic dispute over childcare

A man and a woman were arguing over who was to take care of their baby in Parking Lot 15 on Feb. 23 between 10:05-10:16 a.m., Willey said. The couple began arguing after the man told the woman he needed her to watch their baby because he had to go to work. When the woman refused to leave with him because she had class, the man grabbed her purse containing her cell phone, wallet and MacBook Pro laptop and left. At that time, the woman reportedly asked a passerby to call the police. Ten minutes later, the man returned and threw the woman’s purse with her belongings on the concrete walkway, damaging her cell phone screen, before leaving.

Female student caught driving drunk

A 20-year-old female student was driving her vehicle while under the influence when she collided with the center island at Bellflower Boulevard and Beach Street, Willey said. The woman left a trail of oil from the scene of the accident to Residence Commons, where she stopped her vehicle. She was transported to the Long Beach Community Hospital for treatment before being given a citation for drunk driving.

Marijuana complaints continue

University Police received two reports of marijuana complaints between Feb. 18-24, Willey said.

Police responded to a complaint of people smoking marijuana in the Beach Hall of the Residential Learning College on Feb. 18 at 10:58 a.m., Willey said. A 19-year-old man and an 18-year-old female were cited for possession of marijuana after admitting that they had been smoking. Another 21-year-old man who did not admit to smoking marijuana was reportedly at the scene and was told that he was trespassing because he was not a student. He was issued a stay away order from police, which forbids the man from returning to campus for seven days.

A residential adviser called the University Police to report a marijuana complaint in Parkside Commons on Feb. 24 at 12:05 a.m., Willey said. When police arrived, they made contact with a 19-year-old woman who admitted to having possession of marijuana. She allowed police to look through her purse, where they found an orange fish-shaped smoking device.

Before the woman gave the smoking device to police officers, the woman kissed it and said, “you’ve been good to me.” The woman was both cited and judicially cited for possession of marijuana.