Professors to present forecast on local economy

Cal State Long Beach is hosting the 17th annual Regional Economic Forecast Conference, an event that will provide information on Southern California’s economic forecast for the year, on May 12 at the Hyatt Regency located in downtown Long Beach.

“At this year’s forecast, we will be presenting data on job creation in the region that highlights these trends, and we will be discussing the prospects for future economic growth,” said economic professor and director of the Economic Forecast Project Lisa Grobar.

With tuition and gas prices rising next semester, students may be interested in learning more about the local economic standing.

The event will focus on the five-county regions, including Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside/San Bernardino and Ventura counties. 

Professor and chair of the Forecast Project Joe Magaddino and economics professor Kristen Monaco will also be presenting along with Grobar.

The details of the actual forecast will not be released until the day of the event. 

However, in a press release, the organizers released information regarding some of the ways they are able to obtain accurate calculations.

Data on housing, trade, income and employment is gathered. Then, they use national variables on the federal budget and international trade to make their predictions.

The conference costs $125 and begins at 7:30 a.m.

The fee will include a buffet breakfast and handout materials. 

Those interested in attending can get more information by contacting the CSULB Office of Economic Research at 562-985-5061 or via email at [email protected]