Residence halls to be emptied May 20

Cal State Long Beach students living on campus have until 7 p.m. on May 20 to officially pack up their things and move out.

The dormitories on campus and the Residential Learning College will close that day, as the spring semester ends, but they are scheduled to re-open for move-back day on May 29.

During finals week, all residence halls will have mandatory 24-hour quiet hours beginning on May 16 and ending on May 20. From May 10 to May 12, quiet hours are from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. and from 7 p.m. to 12 p.m. on the weekend.

Next year, the residential requirement for freshmen will continue, meaning that all incoming freshmen must stay in the halls during their first academic year, regardless if they live in the area. Exceptions are made, including if students are over 21 or if they intend to live with their parents for their entire freshmen year.

Freshman biology major Alberto Andrez’s parents live close to CSULB, but he decided to live on campus because it is more convenient and he liked “having more time to sleep” without worrying about commuting or taking public transportation.

While living on campus, first-year students also get the opportunity to socialize with peers and they have the convenience of being within walking distance of their classes.

“[It is] easier to go to the library, the rec center, or to have study groups,” freshman Carmen Mora said. “You get to meet a lot of people; it is the only way, the best way to make friends.”

Junior health science and communications major Mei Kameda said she enjoyed living on campus during her freshmen year so much that she returned every year since.

“You don’t have to worry about bills,” she said. “[Plus] you meet a lot of diverse people.”

Still, Mora said it is a huge expense for students who do not have sufficient financial aid to cover the costs.

The cost for the upcoming 2011-12 academic year ranges with which meal plan students choose and it costs anywhere from $10,150-$10,570.

Students attending a summer session can opt to stay in the halls as well. It costs $1,764 per session, student assistant Tara Schall said.

Last year, there was a waiting list but, eventually, every student was able to stay in the residential halls, she said.

Residential hall students will hold a Long Beach Luau on May 12 at the Los Alamitos lawn as an end-of-the-year party. It will include a barbecue and professional Polynesian and fire dancers from 4 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Student assistant DeAnte King said that there will be changes next year, but nothing will be confirmed until summer. However, he said there will be new coordinators who will move the residential halls in a new direction.