Colleagues mourn former anthropology professor

Pamela Bunte was a professor of linguistic anthropology until three years ago when she retired due to health problems. Bunte died on May 8. 

Colleague and personal friend Dorothy Abrahamse described Bunte as a “wonderful professor.” 

“She was always thinking about the community she was studying,” Abrahamse said.

Bunte specialized in the Southern Paiute Indians in Utah. She and her husband worked with the tribe to help them gain federal recognition. They continued to work together with the Paiutes for more than 30 years. 

Bunte then began to work with the Cambodian community in Long Beach. During this time, she was also the chair of the anthropology department, which she helped modernize. 

Bunte was also instrumental in developing the applied anthropology Master of Arts program and was one of the first faculty members in the linguistics department when it was formed. 

In the linguistics department, she helped create the foundational curriculum before retiring in 2008 with more than 50 presentations and 20 articles. According to Abrahamse, Bunte continued her research and work even after she retired.

Barbara LeMaster, department chair of anthropology, described Bunte as “well-loved.”

“Students loved her and she did a lot for anthropology and for the university,” LeMaster said.

A service for Bunte will be held in the Anatol Center on May 28 at 1 p.m.