HHS dean to receive award

Kenneth Millar, Dean of the College of Health and Human Services at Cal State Long Beach, will be named a “2011 AASWG Local Honoree” at the “Welcome Aboard” International Symposium on board the Queen Mary this Thursday.

Millar, who has been at CSULB for one year, is being recognized by the Association for the Advancement of Social Work with Groups (AASWG) for his work in support of the symposium.

“We’re very appreciative of his helping the local symposium to be a success,” said Joy Rubin, an Associate Coordinator of Field Education at CSULB.

Millar is credited with being full of ideas for the symposium, as well as for having authorized financial support for the opening event, according to the symposium’s 52-page event program.

The AASWG is an international professional organization for social workers that seeks to “promote… group work practice, education, field instruction, research and publication,” according to a symposium brochure.

The symposium is an annual event in its 33rd year. During the four-day event, attendees will have the opportunity to participate in paper presentations, network and explore the attractions of Long Beach.