New digital textbook makes books more affordable

A new digital textbook will be available for use in September 2011, as part of a three-year pilot program to publish textbooks online without ever printing a hard-copy.

“Principles of Biology” is the first book in the program, and will sell at $49. This is a 75% savings when compared to traditional biology textbooks that average at a $200 retail price.

The “born digital” textbook is an innovative educational tool produced exclusively for digital use, and allows users printing rights.

The digital textbook comes with over 175 interactive lessons, continual assessments to help with basic concepts, unlimited printing rights and can be viewed on a web browser on any computer or Smartphone.

The only departments to completely incorporate the books into their curriculum are Cal State Chico, Cal State Los Angeles and Cal State Northridge, starting in fall 2011. Though it is not mandatory for Cal State Long Beach students, the books will be released to all students and instructors for use in September.

More science titles ranging from life science to physical science are scheduled for release in the future.

This program is collaboration between The CSU’s Affordable Learning Solution campaign and Nature Publishing Group (NPG). By reducing student expenses, the CSU system can provide better access to a quality learning experience, according to the CSU Affordable Learning Solution campaign website.

Through this three-year program, the CSU hopes to learn what students and faculty want so that they can work with publishers, such as NPG, to create a new generation of low cost and no cost educational resources.

“Our partnership with NPG is intended not just to develop a new kind of textbook, but to transform the traditional relationship between universities and textbook publishers,” said Gerry Hanley, Senior Director for Academic Technology Services at the CSU’s Chancellor’s office, in an NPG press release.

“The CSU and NPG have interacted from the outset, not as producer and consumer, but as partners jointly designing a publishing model that satisfies the long-term needs of both kinds of organizations,” Hanley said.