Outpost applies for beer license

Students may start purchasing certain alcoholic beverages from the Outpost Grill no later than the start of spring semester, said Don Penrod, chief executive officer of 49er Shops.

The restaurant, which is operated by the Cal State Long Beach auxiliary organization, applied for a license to sell beer and wine last week, setting it up to be the second alcohol vendor on a technically “dry campus.”

Penrod cited a possible increase in revenue, recent renovations to the restaurant and service to the student community as reasons for the idea.

“We try to provide services where the population is,” Penrod said, commenting on the distance between the Nugget Bar and Grill and the Outpost. “It’s amazing how people gravitate to their own areas.”

The Nugget is located on upper campus near the University Bookstore while the Outpost is located on lower campus near the engineering buildings.

The Nugget is already licensed to sell beer and wine, but 49er Shops, which operates the Nugget and the Outpost, has a catering license that allows them to serve beer, wine and distilled spirits like whiskey and vodka.

The Outpost is applying for a license identical to the one carried by the Nugget — something Penrod thinks won’t be much of a problem.

While licenses to sell distilled spirits are limited based on county population and subject to a more strict application process, licenses to sell beer and wine are subject only to regulator approval and application fees.

The California Department of Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) regulates liquor licensing and must respond to the Outpost’s application within 120 days.

The restaurant has paid the regulator $650 to apply and will have to pay a $350 renewal fee, a year after licensing.

“When it’s beer and wine, it’s pretty easy to get a license,” Penrod said.

Some CSULB students agree with this move toward greater alcohol accessibility, but others are a little concerned.

“I think it’s a bad idea because I’m not a fan of drinking at school,” freshman marketing major Sean Graves said. “It’ll make people rowdy.”

While irresponsible drinking may be a problem, ABC offers a server awareness program called L.E.A.D. or, License Education on Alcohol and Drugs, utilized by 49er Shops to train employees on “responsible” alcohol sales, Penrod said.

Penrod also said 49er Shops tends to limit promotion of alcohol sales outside of its restaurants.

“We don’t advertise a happy hour,” he explained.

Brianne Schaer contributed to this report.