SRWC celebrates one year

Cal State Long Beach will celebrate the anniversary of the opening of the Student Recreation and Wellness Center (SRWC) with fitness classes, activities and free giveaways on Thursday.

There will also be a showing of “Groundhog Day” in the Aquatic Center at 9 p.m. for students, faculty and alumni to attend.

In addition, CSULB alumna and two-time Olympic gold medalist Misty May-Treanor will be on hand to sign autographs.

The anniversary festivities will begin at 4 p.m., with extended rock wall climbing time and a set by a College Beat DJ.

Beginning at 5 p.m., students and faculty will be able to participate in a number of athletic activities, including spin class, yoga, aqua aerobics and hula fitness. Attendees may also attend the fitness challenge relay in the MAC gym and a rock climbing demonstration.

May-Treanor, who took home gold medals in beach volleyball in the 2004 and 2008 Olympics, will sign copies of her new book “Digging Deep in Volleyball and Life” between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. at the sand volleyball court near the Aquatic Center.

The alumnae, who graduated from CSULB in 1999, became a local celebrity in 1998 after leading the 49ers to become the first women’s volleyball team to go undefeated in the NCAA.

Following May-Treanor’s appearance, there will be a scavenger hunt, and volleyball and badminton games.

Students can also win a number of prizes and giveaways throughout the celebration.

Those who sign up for Owen’s Condition for Tuition will be entered in a chance to win free spring semester tuition.

Additionally, students who attend the event in a party hat will be given a free prize.

In its first year, the SRWC has more than doubled its available fitness classes and added new programs, including hula fitness, yogalates and choreography classes.

Plans to add to the programs are based off suggestions and comments from students and faculty.

“We change as our members do and we are always asking for suggestions and comments on how we can improve our facility and what they’re interested in,” SRWC Marketing Coordinator Ashley McKeachie said. “We’re excited to see the feedback, and what [students and faculty] tell us will impact our programs next year.”