Arts professor ‘inspiring’ during illness

Cal State Long Beach associate professor of drawing and painting, and visual arts Linda Adair Day, 59, died in her San Pedro home on Aug. 24 of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. 

Born in Worcester, Mass. on July 23, 1952, Day was the daughter of an engineer. She graduated high school at the American School in London. Day then went on to Oxford University to pursue a degree in English literature. 

During her junior year at Oxford University, Day was convinced that she wanted to create art instead of completing her original major. After transferring to Colby College and completing her bachelor’s degree in English literature in 1974, Day continued her education at Pratt Institute to receive a Master of Fine Arts in painting in 1978.

Day taught painting and drawing at UCLA, USC and Otis Art Institute before earning tenure at CSULB. Day was to be promoted to professor this past year, but she decided to retire due to treatment.

CSULB’s art department chair Christopher Miles said, “The most amazing and inspiring [aspect of] this past year was how Linda continued her commitment to her students, colleagues and friends.”

Even during treatment, Day was still active with other faculty in the drawing and painting program.

“She never did anything, whether an art project, teaching her classes or completely redesigning our house, in a halfway manner,” said David Scarino, Day’s husband.

In honor of Day, CSULB’s Department of Art is planning a small exhibition of Day’s recent work.

An open memorial service is scheduled for Sept. 9 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at Another Year in LA. After the service, guests are welcome to stay until the gallery closes at 5 p.m. The gallery will also show Day’s exhibit “Ou-Boum.”

Day is survived by her husband, David Scardino; her mother, Jean Bonnell Day; her sisters, Elizabeth Day Flynn and Amy Day Chase; her nephew, David Flynn and niece, Emma Flynn.

In addition, an endowed scholarship in Linda’s name is currently being funded and donations can be sent to Arléna Kauppi; College of the Arts. Checks should be made payable to “CSULB Foundation” and clearly marked “4 Linda A. Day Endowment.”