Recreation center offers day of prizes, Olympic star signing

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center began its one-year anniversary celebration on Sept. 1 with a DJ spinning tunes near the indoor track on the second floor while vendors from Robek’s and Elektric Hair and Nail Salon gave away free goodies to students in the lobby.

The event, held from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m., offered attendees chances at winning raffle prizes, free giveaways and an opportunity to meet Cal State Long Beach alumna and two-time Olympic champion Misty May-Treanor.

Students exiting the facility were given free packs of deodorant and reusable plastic water bottles.

In addition, those who signed up for Owen’s Condition for Tuition, a scholarship program that awards students for participating in athletic activities and events through Associated Students Inc. Recreation, received a free T-shirt and were entered in a chance to win free spring semester tuition.

A Fitness Challenge Relay with the grand prize of a new bike also took place in the Multi-Activity Court Gym.

At 5 p.m., ASI held a meet-and-greet and autograph session with May-Treanor at the sand volleyball court near the Aquatics Center.

May-Treanor signed many volleyballs and copies of her new autobiography, “Digging Deep in Volleyball and Life.”

The alumna, who led the 49ers to the first undefeated NCAA volleyball season in 1999, said she was glad to be back on campus and praised the SRWC on the wide range of fitness options it offers the students.

“It’s a great facility,” May-Treanor said. “Where else can you play volleyball and rock climb? It’s a great spot and a one-stop shop.”

The array of athletic options seems to be the major selling point of the SRWC among students on campus — particularly the newer students, who’ve never had access to such a multifaceted gym.

“I come here once or twice a week and I try to do everything I can,” freshman math education major Felix Fernandez said. “It makes me healthier and more attentive. It’s easier to concentrate in class.”

The celebration continued with spin class, aqua aerobics, yoga and hula fitness classes followed by games of badminton and volleyball, a rock climbing demonstration, and a scavenger hunt.

Event coordinators made sure to use every inch of the facility for the celebration, as activities took place on both floors, inside the gym and in the outdoor Aquatics Center.

The night ended at 11 p.m. after a showing of the film “Groundhog Day” in the Aquatics Center.

Since the SRWC opened last year, classes such as yogalates and hula fitness have been added to the programs to meet the unique needs of students. ASI plans to add more classes as the facility’s popularity grows.