Week of Welcome to unite students with campus

Students will have the opportunity to join a club, dance, bowl and learn more about campus at Cal State Long Beach’s Week of Welcome, beginning today and lasting until Sept. 9.

Today’s events begin with the Associated Students Inc. information day. Starting at 11:30 a.m. at the University Student Union, students can learn about ASI and how to become involved. 

ASI Communications Coordinator Christina Esparza said it is an opportunity to “showcase involvement in ASI and show that it includes commissions, student government, student organizations and so much more.”

She stressed the idea that many students believe ASI is merely student government, but, in reality, involvement extends much further. 

On Wednesday and Thursday, more than 220 student organizations will congregate in the commencement lawn to display what they have to offer. Various clubs and organizations, from sailing to anime, will attend. 

“This is a way for students to learn more about what is going on campus,” Esparza said.

Friday’s conclusion to Week of Welcome is known as “Smorgasport,” which is, according to Esparza, a big party. The event will be held from 8 p.m. until midnight in Lot 3 near the USU as well as at the Gold Mine Gym. Activities will include billiards, bowling, dancing, inflatables and musical performances, among other things. Student organizations will continue to display their information during this time.

More than 3,000 students attended Smorgasport last year and even more are expected this year.

“The whole entire thing keeps getting bigger and bigger,” Esparza said. “It is about students getting to know their university through its community.”