Dream Act awaits Brown’s approval

The second half of the California Dream Act, which was designed to allow immigrant students access to financial aid, has successfully passed through the California State Assembly and now awaits approval on Gov. Jerry Brown’s desk.

Known as AB-131, the bill would grant undocumented students the right to apply for state and federal financial aid in addition to aid from private institutions.

Though the latter has been traditionally considered common practice, it has only recently been legally allowed through state law via AB-130.

Brown has until Oct. 9 to sign or veto the bill. If he does nothing, AB-131 will become law on its own, without the need for his signature.

Though Brown went public with his support of the Dream Act legislation in June, he only signed AB-130 and neglected AB-131, which some argued was the meat of the Dream Act.

Former California State Student Association President Chris Chavez declared in August that Brown’s signature of AB-130, while progressive, was little more than a “symbolic victory.” Now, with AB-131 having made it as far as the governor’s desk, undocumented students and their supporters are becoming increasingly optimistic about their education.

Opponents of the bill argue that it generates unnecessary spending in a time where California cannot afford excess expenses.

California Assemblyman Gilbert Cedillo, who introduced the Dream Act in 2006, argued that the contribution of undocumented students to the economy would be well worth the investment of their education.

“By signing AB-131, the governor will help increase the earning potential of these students, which helps all of us by contributing to our tax base and the future of our state,” Cedillo said in a statement.

After Brown’s signature of AB-130, the University of California, Los Angeles Institute for Research on Labor and Employment released a study that said the Dream Act was crucial to California’s economy.

The study argued that, as a result of lower graduation rates in the future, pushing qualified undocumented students through college promotes a more prolific and competent future workforce.