Shuttles reduce operating times due to budget cuts, environment

Several schedule changes have been made to campus connection shuttles, including reduced hours for on-campus shuttles from Monday-Thursday and the removal of Friday services.

Cal State Long Beach Student Ride Share Program Corrdinator Elissa Thomas said these service changes were partly based on budget challenges. The Rideshare program provides funding for both the U-Pass and shuttle systems.

“The cost of the U-Pass more than doubled this year,” Thomas said. “And even with that, we still spend more on shuttle service.”

Rideshare has also joined the Campus Sustainability Taskforce to make the campus more environmentally friendly. In doing so, they have reduced the transportation service hours of operation.

Shuttles are available during fall and spring terms only. Residential Learning College shuttles operate seven days a week, while on-campus shuttles operate Monday through Thursday.

On-campus shuttles have ceased to operate on Friday to adjust to the lesser number of students attending class those days.

“On Fridays, ridership was so minimal,” Thomas said. “I mean, you could look across the campus and you could literally see a tumble weed rolling across the parking lot.”

Senator Jorge Soriano said the shuttle ride changes are moving in a negative direction and believes the value and necessity of the shuttles outweigh the costs. He said that he wished to see further schedule changes in the future, mirroring previous semesters.

The Residential Learning College, the off-campus housing and classes located at the former site of Brooks College, is linked to CSULB via its own shuttle system and Long Beach Transit 171.

Students who live in RLC must present an RLC sticker on their ID cards as proof of residency to board the RLC shuttle. RLC residents also have the transportation option of taking the bike path along Atherton Street.

“What we’re trying to do is move to a more sustainable approach on the campus,” Thomas said.

She hopes the new shuttle system will prevent commuters from clogging off-campus residential areas with their parked cars before hopping on a campus shuttle or Long Beach transit bus.

Students waiting for the next shuttle ride can access live bus tracking, arrival times, and percentage of seats available via the CSU Long Beach Shuttle live map, powered by Syncromatics, on csulbshuttle.com. The University Police Night Escort program is also available for any student in need of an escort to his or her vehicle.

Campus Connection shuttle schedule

ALL Campus Tripper

Mon-Thurs    5 p.m. – 12 a.m.

WEST Campus Only

Mon-Thurs    7 a.m. – 5 p.m.

EAST Campus Only

Mon-Thurs    7 a.m. – 5 p.m.

RLC Only

7 days a week    7 a.m. – 1 a.m.